Thursday, January 13, 2011

Back to School

A LOT has been happening these past few weeks.

James's Mom & Gary came for Christmas:
Johnny & Eliz and Aunt Sylvia came during what I still think of as "Youth In Action" week (an event that used to happen between Christmas and the New Year):

Wilkes & Erica and Cosette came on New Year's Eve, and the Whole Family ate dinner at Mom & Jerry's house:


We shot fireworks, and had so much fun that only the rain kept the lawn, house, and neighborhood from going up in blue blazes.
My dad and brothers got enough deer this season to stock our freezer too. I (briefly) helped Dad in processing the venison, and Harvey the beagle will get delectable scraps - pieces some people would grind for hamburger - for months to come. Don't worry, no photos of that.


Now, the past two days: Whew. I started grad school.

And it's been a great couple of days, a whirlwind. UA's campus brings back random memories which I can't dwell on, because of all that's happening now. My first class (Wednesday) was taught by the department head, Dr. Liu, who's originally from China. I like cognitive linguistics once I unpack all the lingo (thankful my phone now has a built-in dictionary). As we volunteered for certain assignment dates, three girls on my row raised their hands at once. The winner declared herself so by seniority: "I'm the oldest, so I should get first pick!" Our professor asked, "How old are you?" The answer: "Almost 27." :) That's two years younger than I am, by the way.
Several friendly students in my program - Mandi, Victoria, Romy, David, Joe - made me feel welcome, though they've been together for months or years and I'm the newcomer. I'm "the other Caroline," since there was already another one there!

Thursday morning I met with Mandi, the 2nd-year student I was assigned to co-teach with. We discovered that we both go to Grace Church, though we haven't actually seen each other there yet. We met, she showed me the ropes, then she (as teacher of record) led the first day of EN120, a freshman writing course for international students. Like a trusty sidekick, I handed out papers and, well, sat off to the side. More about that later.

As per instructions, I next reported to the English Dept. office, got trained, and worked a couple of hours for my keep. Then, a quick bite at the Ferg (where I picked a table with just one other girl there, who was soon joined by her friend, who recognized me from Grace Church!). Just before my next class, I visited the department head to pick up a book, and learned what it means to be flexible. In fact, I think my mind did a split.

A scheduling conflict means I will neither work in the English Dept. office nor co-teach with Mandi. Instead, I'll co-teach in a different section of EN120: the half-awake 8am one. And instead of filing I'll be Dr. Nelson's teaching assistant for EN320, a linguistics class I took, oh, just 9 years ago. So, I'm off to memorize the International Phonetic Alphabet again... But really, it was a blessing working my bit in the office and getting to know the ladies there, Carol and Vernita. My mom was Carol's labor nurse 18 years ago, the only nurse she remembers; and Vernita is super helpful and encouraging.
...
Two last things:

On my one-and-only day co-teaching with Mandi, we played a get-to-know-you game called Two Truths and a Lie. Of your three statements, everyone must guess which one is the lie. Here were mine: 1) I've been married for ~8 years, 2) I have 8 brothers and sisters, 3) I have 8 parents. Well, no one thought me old enough to have been married so long, and they couldn't conceive of anyone having so many parents! But I am and we do and we love them all.

Finally, a big THANK YOU to James. He is so wonderful, helpful, and supportive in all this. I'm grateful to come home to a husband who, though he had a long day himself, will listen to my joys and woes. Thanks for being my best friend!

5 comments:

  1. So sweet, Caroline! May the Lord our God bless you and your new endeavors (OK, so here I am asking Albert if "endeavors" is the right word for what I want to say and he yells back from the other room: "Ask her for the recipe for the Spanish rice!!" hahaha. I guess he was more impressed with your Spanish rice than with your new "endeavors"!!)
    I love you and miss you.
    Lavinia

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of your "eight", I am SO PROUD of you! You are blazing new ground almost daily here, and as you do you are allowing "the joy of the Lord" to be your guide! Your wonderful attitude & beautiful spirit are a testimony to all who meet you, and most CERTAINLY to those of us who know and love you so dearly! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline, this is WONDERFUL! Please tell Vernita that Molly Wright (now Starkweather) says hello. Vernita and Carol are both incredibly faithful women, and you can ask either (esp. Vernita) to pray for (or perhaps even with!) you when there are prayer concerns about life. I also have great respect for Dr. Liu, even though I only saw him in passing. Oh, and there is a fantastic researcher you need to read, but I forget her name. She includes most of her work for free digitally online, and I just remember her new take on behaviorism as resonating well with the cognitive approach, at least in fuzzy principle. Thank you for keeping us posted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Cindy and Molly (will do)! And you too, Lavinia; your comment made James & me laugh. :) So here's "Skilled Spanish Rice," a recipe I found online and have modified over the years: Heat 1/4 cup oil in skillet. Add 1 chopped onion, 1/2 chopped green bell pepper, 1/2 pound ground beef, & 1 cup dry brown rice. Stir on high heat til browned. Add 16 ounces tomato sauce, 1 & 3/4 cups water, and dashes of mustard, salt, crushed red pepper, cumin, marjoram, & thyme. Mix well. Bring to boil; cover & simmer ~45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Enjoy! (Measurements are all flexible)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful diary of your most admirable ventures! (I like Lavinia's word better, though_Lavinia, you rock!)

    You make so many people and several important little 4-footed critters very happy! Thank you for aiming high and with such thoughtfulness and care.

    Love to you and James!

    ReplyDelete