Monday, June 28, 2010

The Morning for Pahpah

Pahpah went to heaven yesterday, and he can see again. You may be thinking, "What a sad way to start a blog," and you have a point. But from a certain perspective (the best one) it's really wonderful. As C. S. Lewis wrote in The Last Battle, "The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning."

He was the last of our grandparents. He loved my grandmother Mema, loved their three children - Mary, Johnny, and Gordon - and loved Jesus. He acted justly as a good lawyer and judge, loved mercy as he took care of his dear wife in her last years, and walked humbly with his God even when he couldn't see or stand. Whenever asked how he was doing these past few years, he'd praise the Lord that he didn't have any pain.

Cats frequented his lap, and he passed down a love of cats to all his family. I got his blue eyes too. And maybe his enjoyment of old movies ... though they were new when he saw them.

Mother Teresa died five days after Princess Diana in 1997; C. S. Lewis died on the same day as JFK in 1963. And in 2010, the very same day my grandfather died, my old neighbor Mrs. Madison did too. It's hard to sort out all the grief and memories, but Mrs. M took our Christmas card pictures back when it required a whole roll of film. She shared catfood with us one warm Christmas day when we ran out, the stores were closed, and I walked barefoot across the street to ask her. She taught me how to cross-stitch, which she couldn't do anymore after her stroke. The last thing I heard her say clearly, when visiting a week ago, was "You come back any time." Now she can communicate with perfect clarity.

Pahpah and Mrs. Madison both died at home, which I wish everyone could do. They both lived good long lives and influenced so many people. They both died, but I can't think of them as dead, because they're more alive now than ever. Quoting The Last Battle again:

For them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures ... had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.

6 comments:

  1. Loving and BEAUTIFULLY written tribute to two godly people who touched your life profoundly! A most EXCELLENT way to begin a blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline:

    I love your first blog. You are truly a talented writer! My condolences to your family on your losses. I hope you will continue posting to let your light shine.

    You might enjoy these words, often attributed Ralph Waldo Emerson, but research proves it was written by Elizabeth Anderson Stanley. You never knew your maternal grandfather, but this describes him too! I'm a childhood friend of your mom's and we have met on several occasions.

    "He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much; who has enjoyed the trust of pure women, the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task; who has left the world better than he found it, whether an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul; who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had; whose life was an inspiration; whose memory a benediction. Bessie Anderson Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Caroline,
    Thank you for writing this. It makes me think that I had better set myself ever more earnestly toward God in this life, so that those who follow me may have been better for my life, as you clearly are better for the lives of these two dear people.

    I love that you quote The Last Battle. I am reading the Narnia Chronicles to Tofu these days, and we haven't gotten to that book yet, but Tofu is entranced by Narnia. I see his heart longing for the goodness and joy of life as a free man (as Narnian life is described in The Horse and His Boy). And he really loves Aslan (who I have not yet told him is Jesus).
    Love to you and your family and all.
    Love, Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you SO much, Caroline for these reflections on Pah-pah and Katherine. In many ways they demonstrated the goodness of God. You
    sensitively described a bit of their patience and kindness. Aren't we incredibly fortunate to have known them and to know we'll reunite one day? At the funeral for KM today, the minister said that Katherine's husband,and army colonel, told her on his deathbed that he was "going ahead to secure housing", just as he'd done at various military bases. Oh, how grand their new, permanent dwelling must be! Much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline,

    Your mom used my email account to post her comment. Neither of us blog enough to figure this out. Help!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroline, I love it! I can't wait to read more. I have always known you to have writing talent. Thanks for sharing your wealth of thoughts by putting them into words for the rest of ut. God bless you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete